Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASSERT macros in the kernel....

:
:I don't seem to see (after not looking very hard) any ASSERT macros for
:the kernel in FreeBSD. It'd be pretty easy to add them, and they're
:awfully useful. They're different from INVARIANT support in that they
:encapsulate (and panic if the assertion is triggered) more inline types of
:conditions.
:
:Any opinions?
:
:-matt

    I don't understand what you want to do.  KASSERT() is the standard
    way to assert something in the kernel, but we do not want to bloat
    the code unnecessarily so KASSERT()s only do something if INVARIANT
    support has been turned on.

    If we need to panic on something whether or not invariant support has
    been turned on, we currently just use a conditional and a panic.

    How would ASSERT be different from KASSERT() ?

						-Matt