Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 20:27:04 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        utsl@quic.net
Cc:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-standard root filesystems

In message <20020501000236.GB28212@quic.net>, utsl@quic.net writes:
>On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:58:09PM -0700, Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:
>> utsl@quic.net wrote:
>> > Linux has a syscall (pivot_root) to swap the root with another mounted
>> > filesystem. It is occasionally quite useful, and I've been wondering
>> > about implementing it (or something similar) on FreeBSD.
>> That sounds like a fine idea.  What are the issues with doing that?
>
>I've been taking a look, and I think it is probably beyond my skill. :(
>From what I can see the following would be necessary:

I presume you know that FreeBSD already allows you to mount another
filesystem directly over /? Do you actually need to remove the
original root filesystem, or is it just for cosmetic reasons that
you would like it to disappear from the mountlist?

One think I have thought about before, but never actually tried
implementing, is to permit the root filesystem to be forcibly
unmounted so long as there is another filesystem mounted directly
above it to become the new root (you obviously have to specify the
root filesystem by device name). That might be relatively easy to
do, and it doesn't require a new system call.

There are a few problems though: I think init(8) would need to have
a signal that causes it to re-exec itself, since otherwise it could
get killed if any of the executable needed to be paged in.

Ian