Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:47:36 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: names allowed by bind 8

Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> If I upgrade to bind 8, will my machine recognise domain names starting
> with a digit as per rfc1123?

	The restriction on starting with a digit is virtually non-existent at
this point.

> How about underscores as per informational
> rfc1035?

	Underscores are not valid in hostnames. If you are using underscores
for names seen on the internet you should change them asap. One of many
good reasons is that they will be used to differentiate the new SRV
pseudo-hostnames.

	For those that want to argue that there is nothing cut in stone about
not using underscores in hostnames, please don't bother. At minimum it's
"current best practice," and it probably actually *is* codified in the
RFC's, but that's a debate for another list.

Good luck,

Doug