Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:00:52 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Sean Heiney" <onet@shianet.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP problems

> Hello,
> =20
> I recentally set up FreeBSD(2.2.5-RELEASE) on my home system. In my =
> efforts to set up ppp (dial up/dynamic ip address) I have got pretty =
> far. I'm sure I have all my conf files setup correctally. I've double =
> checked them. I set up my script to connect to my ISP, and it works. It =
> will go into packet mode and successfully connect. At this  point, I =
> type "shell" in the ppp program after I dialed, to be able to execute =
> commands while in the same terminal. As far as I know, when I'm =
> connected, FreeBSD  doesn't know that I'm connected. When I try to "ping =
> rs.internic.net" or any other server, I get an error message along the =
> lines of "host not found" or "destination not reachable" or something =
> like that. I'm not  sure of the exact error message. The point is that I =
> can not contact any other  hosts while I'm connected. I have my =
> nameservers setup right, and my resolv.conf, and every other conf  file =
> according to the FreeBSD handbook on PPP setup. What are the possible =
> causes of this problem?

When you type `shell', you suspend ppp execution until you exit the
shell.

The current ppp warns about this when it spawns the command.  You
also should make sure that your ``ppp.linkup'' contains the required
``add 0 0 HISADDR''.

> Thanks alot,
> =20
>
> Sean Heiney (sean@owosso.net)

Oh, and it's easier for everyone if you post in plain text rather
than html :-)
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;