Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:50:05 -0500
From:      "Steve Bernard" <sbernard@gmu.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with getting through firewall using CVSup

You could funnel your CVS traffic through an open port like 80 or 22 or
tunnel it inside of HTTP or SSH, but this will require a gateway on the
outside, or someone running a CVS repository on one of those ports. If
you think that the fw admins watch their logs and traffic patterns then
you're likely to get caught either way. If you've been going to long
lengths to circumvent their security then they're more likely to take
issue with you. If it's an ISP, try talking to them and explaining the
neccessity of what you want to do. If you're at work, do the same but
make a business case for it. This way, if the fw admins are unreasonable
maybe a manager will be more willing to listen. If it's a bandwidth
utilization issue, try throttling your bandwidth using something like
AltQ, or schedule your CVS updates for off-hours.

If you make the fw admins mad you may experience "unexplainable" network
outages or packet loss ;)

Steve