Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:32:56 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        Brett_Glass@infoworld.com, se@freebsd.org, Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5 devices in 4 PCI Slots ?

On Feb 4, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith) wrote:
> Brett_Glass@infoworld.com stands accused of saying:
> > Interesting. Is interrupt sharing implemented for other drivers as well
> > (for instance, for PCMCIA multifunction cards that share an IRQ between an
> > Ethernet NIC and a modem)?
>
> Interrupt sharing is a bus, not driver, issue.  We've just done to death

Well, it is a BUS + DRIVER issue, actually ...

The BUS must physically support it (some kind of
wired OR, or dedicated interrupt lines per slot
fed into the PIC chip).

The inputs must be level sensitive (it is possible
to share edge triggered interrupts, but this does
result in higher per interrupt overhead).

And finally, the device driver must also support
interrupt sharing. Its first action in the interrupt
handler must be a test, whether THIS device was the
cause of the interrupt, and an immediate return from
the handler, if it was not ...

Regards, STefan