Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:40:10 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roberto <robertot@redix.it>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting the running patch level

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Roberto <robertot@redix.it> wrote:

> So as far I understand, if the kernel is not updated by the update process, it
> is not possible to get via "uname" the currently patch level.

Correct.

This has been discussed a number of time, but there are no nice and
simple solution. There is a simple solution if we just update the
kernel always, but that's a hack IMO.

While the problem seems rather simple, there are many corner cases
making it hard to solve. It should be solved so people can get this
information, personally I just haven't had the time to work on it.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen