Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 2012 16:48:57 -0500
From:      Rotate 13 <rabgvzr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeffrey McFadden <junkrigsailor@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: axe(4) and Plugable USB2-E1000 (or: general USB Ethernet advice)

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Jeffrey McFadden
<junkrigsailor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Rotate 13 <rabgvzr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for a USB ethernet adapter which works with very stable
>> driver in FreeBSD. =C2=A0To effect this end, I went through section 4 ma=
>> pages, and made list of drivers for USB ethernet chips. =C2=A0The proble=
>> is, many are apparently not widely available or in current production
>> - but I found ASIX AX88178 and ASIX AX88772 (axe(4)) in various
>> devices from http://plugable.com/ . =C2=A0I am mostly interested in ASIX
>> AX88178 due to faster speed (albeit limited by USB2 speed).
>>
>> My questions:
>>
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0* Does anybody have good or bad experience wi=
th Plugable USB2-E1000
>> (ASIX AX88178) in FreeBSD? =C2=A0Stability is utmost concern, followed b=
>> performance. =C2=A0I note, Amazon.com page for product says also it has
>> Realtek RTL8211CL PHY - I do not understand why, and cannot find info
>> explaining this. =C2=A0Is perhaps slower USB2-E100 with ASIX AX88772 mor=
>> compatible?
>>
>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0* Any advice on rock-solid usage of USB Ether=
net in FreeBSD, and
>> pointers to other products will be much appreciated.ss G USB
>

> I can't address your other questions, but the Belkin Wireless G USB adapt=
er
> model FSD7050 is working without fail for me, and last I knew was still o=
> the market.

Thank you for reply.  To make it clear, I am looking for wired
Ethernet device: RJ45 jack on one side, USB jack on the other.  Best
would be gigabit ethernet and USB3, but I probably will get USB2 - and
even USB2 + 100baseT would be ok in a pinch.

I am also looking for good wireless hardware, but not USB - mini-PCIe,
probably ath(4) or ral(4) compatible device which will work with
FreeBSD's upcoming 802.11n support.  That is a separate issue
(although comments/pointers are welcome!).