Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:07:43 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printcap question

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:25:52AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:

[snip]

> Now, from the printer manual:
>
> Add the printer to /etc/hosts - done
> 1.1.1.1. printer # this is just an example
>
> Add the following to your /etc/printcap
> laserWriter|apple:\
> 	:sd:/var/spool/lpd/laserwriter:\
> 	:lf:/var/log/laserWriter:\
> 	:lp=:mx#0:rm=printer:\
> 	:rp=text:\
>
> I have the lpd daemon started from /etc/rc.conf but I cannot print.
> (I am sending a plain text file for testing)
> When I check /var/spool/lpd/laserWriter/status it says:
> sending to printer
> Logfile shows nothing. Any ideas?

Fernan,

I have a Brother HL-1270N network printer here, and everything on
my local net can print to it -- including both my FBSD boxes.

Here's the printcap entry:

> lp|printer line printer:\
> 	:sh:\
> 	:mx#0:\
> 	:rm=lp:\
> 	:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/output/lp:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> #
> #
> # Sample remote printer.  The physical printer is on machine "lp".
> # NB: you cannot perform any kind of local filtering directly.  If
> # you need local filters (e.g. LF -> CR-LF conversion for HP printers),
> # create a filter script that recursively calls lpd with another -P
> # argument after filtering.
> #
> #remote|sample remote printer:\
> #	:sh:\
> #	:rm=lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lp:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> #

As you can see, it's _very_ vanilla, and essentially a straight
copy of the "remote" entry, changing the machine (rm) and queue
(rp) names, and adding "mx#0" to remove print size limits. It
works very nicely.

Have you tried printing to your printer while monitoring the
interface with tcpdump? If yes, what did it show?

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx