Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:21:38 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <jrs@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security for isp

Disable _EVERYTHING_ then pick the ones you need - and only enable them... If
your setting up a public access FreeBSD system (or ISP system etc.) - look in
the ports collection for things like 'tcpwrappers' - which will disallow or
log connections from hosts which don't have reverse DNS addresses, or better
still - get a good book on the subject, something like "Building Internet
Firewalls ISBN 1-56592-124-0, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc." is a good place to
start - even if your not building firewalls in particular...

At the end of the day though - remember the motto - if you don't NEED it,
don't RUN it... And the more complex the system / program / setup - the more
that can go wrong, not only with the software - but with the security of the
system...

Regards,

Karl

ps. Don't take this _TOO_ far with BSD, I've heard of people deleting things
like the /usr/bin directory - because they didn't _need_ it - it applies more
to Servers, Ports etc. on the system - than the actual _BASE_ system - though
it might be a good idea not putting things like C compilers on systems running
as ISP servers (as not to give any 'visitors' too many tools ;-) - Though at
the end of the day some things are worth the 'risk' factor...