Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 13:50:32 -0600
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

Apparently, Peter Dufault scribbled:

> > 1.	A concern that FreeBSD tends to "bind" for brief periods when
> > 	loaded...
>
> Can this is an IDE issue?  I never saw anything like this until
> I configured an IDE mail server.  That system pauses for seconds
> sometimes, and then continues.  This is running -stable, syscons
> only (no X), no messages logged, etc.  The echo stops going to
> the display, the ethernet activity is stopped, all in all it seems
> to be locked up for three or four seconds.
>
> We have three SCSI only systems and haven't ever seen this, and
> one IDE system that pauses.

Hmmm....  Curious.  I've got a lame-o IDE 2.0.5-95 0622 system,
and I see some occasional pauses too.  Most notably as I mentioned
earlier with the "talk" program.  I *thought* I correlated it to
receiving mail one day, but wasn't sure at all...  Since I only ever
run "talk" to the west coast, it could easily be a line probelm at
the ISP on their end.  Has anyone else seen talk display this
freezing-up behaviour?  Do I alone imagine it?  Should I cut back
on my (non-)Bass/Guiness drinking? :-)

jdl