Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:25:22 -0700
From:      "Pepe (Jose)  Amengual" <jose.amengual@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Which one has better support for FreeBSD , LSI or Areca ? with multiport support

Hi Guys.

I have a super micro server with this controller :

http://www.addonics.com/products/adsa3gpx8-4e.php <http://Addonics
Controler>

Connected to and Addonics storage rack via 4 eSata ports and port
multipliers to 10 disks using ZFS.

It has been working fine but lately I have been experience some issues with
channel timeout and disk just disappearing from the pool. I already posted
another thread about that but looks like no one has clue about what the
errors means so I decided to swap controllers with a spare one and same
issue.

So now I have decided to buy a real controller, Areca or LSI for the server
but I need one that is port multiplier compatible and with external esata
connectors.

I just one a very good controller ( not super expensive) that has good
drivers for freebsd and that can give me reliable tools to diagnose
hardrive failures and diagnostics.

I have the possibility to move to iSCSI too using an addonics module for
that so I could move to a different setup but I don't know is I will have
any benefit on I/O speed doing that or not.

If someone can give me some advice I will really appreciate.

Thanks.