Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:09:21 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        delphij@delphij.net
Cc:        mtm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Idea about "skeleton jail"

Dear Xin,

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Xin LI wrote:

XL> What I am going to proposal is a concept that I call it "skeleton jail",
XL> or "skeljail" for short.  A skel jail is something that shares most base
XL> system binaries/libraries with the host, through read-only mount_null's.

[snip]

XL> I have some handcrafted shell scripts to implement skeljail by having
XL> everything automatically mounted/dismounted.  However, I think it might
XL> be better if we can have jail_<name>_skeljail="YES" switch in our jail
XL> rc.d(8) startup script.  Please let me know if you are interested in the
XL> idea and I'll post a patch for review if there's enough people that
XL> wants this.

I wrote some scripts for very similar process (however, I used one mount to
null mount jail's /usr, and move/symlinked /bin and /sbin to /usr/Rbin and
/usr/Rsbin, with /usr/local, /usr/home and /usrX11R6 linked out to jail root)

I'm very interested in your patchset, at least for comparing with our (and for
learning, or course! ;-)

Thanks!

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***