Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Password Handling

I've been looking through the source code to login.c and various .h files,
can someone tell me why login.c defines NBUFSIZE (size of the login name
buffer i think) as UT_NAMESIZE+64, where UT_NAMESIZE is 8 (from utmp.h),
even though MAXLOGNAME from sys/param.h is 12. The reason I am asking is
that I am designing a server that requires user logins (I have looked at
ftpd.c also) and am wondering if it is appropriate to use the figure in
sys/param.h as the max user name length. Also another thing that confuses
me a bit with freebsd is crypt is systems that use DES you can do a crypt
on the plain text and a strcmp against the encrypted password returned
from getpwnam(), in freebsd with shadowed passwords and either md5 or des
are password checks handled the same assuming your daemon is running uid
0?