Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:38:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        wes@softweyr.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

Re: Using "make" to control the startup sequence.
I thought of this some time ago and, although it seems simple, rejected
the idea in this form. Many of the systems that I use would not be able to
utilize such a mechanism because they don't have "make" installed.
Further, there is a lot that needs to get done before you get to the point
that "make" will run.

However, I still hold out for the possibility that we could use "make"
to generate a static list based on the configuration. This list would
then be ready for the next reboot.

We could even have a knob that prunes the static list at the point
where "make" can take over and do things dynamically.

IMHO, the scheme should be able to be aborted at any point and
restarted with the same or a different target.