Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 11:35:32 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jean-Paul Nuytten <jnuytten@penn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Only one mailing list please, freebsd-questions!  Spamming multiple
> lists will only make people angry with you, not get your questions
> answered.  Thanks.
>
> > problems loading the distribution.  I seem to be reading the
> > distribution from the DOS partition OK, but I am getting write errors "Write
> > failure transferring dists".
>
> You cannot install this release of FreeBSD from a DOS partition, I'm
> afraid.  That will be supported in 2.2, but that's at least 60 days in
> the future and of little help to you now unless you can download
> 2.2-BETA (but if you could download it, you probably wouldn't have the
> CD).
>
> > Secondly, I have an IDE 8X CDROM (it came with the Creative Labs Sound
> > Blaster 32PNP).  The book says that I should make a boot floppy using
>
> It's also doubtful that this model will work with 2.1.5, but if it
> does it will using the boot.flp image.  The atapi.flp image is gone
> and only erroneously referenced in 2.1.5 - it has been merged into
> boot.flp

I think that while you may have trouble with the SoundBlaster, the CD
should work fine. Just connects it as the slave to the primary EIDE
controller on your motherboard (daisy chanied after your first hard
disk). I have a CreativeLabs x8 CD working that way with 2.1.5. *Don't*
have it connected to the SoundBlaster.

>                                                 Jordan
Nadav