Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:11:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      PINAY <Pinay@concentric.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I give up!! 3.1 install Q...

Please help!

I've tried installing from the 3.1 cd about 20 times (no exageration) -
I've tried every permutation of possible config scenario in order to
troubleshoot what is wrong and I'm out of inspiration.

After doing what looks like a clean install, the system boots, all the
filesystems check clean, then the system hangs at the message:
"Doing initial network setup: hostname." At this point I've let the
system sit overnight (the next morning still has the same error) and
I've tried ^c, ^d, ^break, ^elbow smear, ^profanity, etc. - eventually
I have to use the billgates button 0xOFF to break free. What is wrong?!
The system never gets past this point.

Note I have tried installing without configuring network stuff, xwindow
stuff, etc. (simplest path) just to see if I was entering a bogus
parameter - that still left me with the dreaded error. I'm about to go
back to my manual typewriter and the mimeograph machine....