Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:59:28 -0800
From:      obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
To:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Countering stack overflow

Charles Mott writes:
> This is the final post of a long back and forth exchange.  I'm sorry my
> terminology is not up to your standards, but I think if you read the
> entire thread, you will see that my understanding is fairly clear.  Do
> your homework before making an obnoxious statement.

Aggg.  The real vulnerability here is not checking array bounds.  Playing
with the postion of the stack is simply masking the problem, not fixing.
If you really want to fix the problem, then lets change the language we
use for development... or use the bounds checking enhanced GCC.
Remember, C is a high-level assembly language, and by that nature means
it allows unchecked references.

> The fact that FreeBSD is so easily exploited by stack overflow
> techniques, when the method has been widely known for probably a decade
> is the real tragedy here.

Not just FreeBSD, but *ALL* commerial Unixes.  AND it is also a problem
on other machines.. it just leads to a core dump/crash rather than gained
access.  The real tragedy here is we are still using C, on an OS that is
used by some in a security concious environment.

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)