Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 21:06:27 +0200
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATmail Port not working?

On 2012-05-27 17:47, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently in the process of testing ATmail as a replacement to my currently running old Zimbra setup.
> I would like to get rid of Linux and migrate my mail system onto FreeBSD.

  :)

> However, for some reason the ATmail port isn't working.
> I have contacted the port maintainer about it who told me that it would be fixed ASAP but I haven't heard anything since and trying to do a port upgrade didn't yield anything either.

> My issue is that I keep getting this on the initial install:
>
> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php* on line *472*
> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php* on line *549*
> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php* on line *1204*
> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/PEAR.php* on line *569*
> *Deprecated*: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/PEAR.php* on line *572*
>
> *Strict Standards*: Non-static method DB::connect() should not be called statically in */usr/local/www/atmail/install/step2.php* on line *97*
> *Strict Standards*: Non-static method DB::parseDSN() should not be called statically in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php* on line *522*
> *Strict Standards*: Non-static method DB::isError() should not be called statically in */usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php* on line *559*
> *Strict Standards*: Non-static method DB::isError() should not be called statically in */usr/local/www/atmail/install/step2.php* on line *99*
>
> *Warning*: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/www/atmail/libs/PEAR/DB.php:472) in */usr/local/www/atmail/install/index.php* on line *137*

The messages are coming from backward compatibility with php4
To get rid of "Deprecate: ..." look at the lines for '=& BlaBla' or '= &BlaBla' change them to '= BlaBla'

I have no quick solution for the "Strict Standards" errors, you can *suppress* them by changing the error_reporting variable in php.ini but this *does not* fix the issue.
Changing the error_report variable is not recommend, the code should be fixed!

> I have tried changing both MySQL and PHP versions which didn't have any luck.
> Current PHP version is 5.4 as 5.2 and 5.3 don't even display the index.php install page.
>
> MySQL was 5.5 but now is 5.0.x from ports.
>

> What can I do to get this working?
>

> The version of ATmail is also quite old it seems as is version 5 (1.0.5), however ATmail 6 is out.......

Where have you found ATmail 6 ??
Current download is 1.0.5

> Can anybody help me getting ATmail working?

The following patch updates ATmail to version 1.0.5 (no guaranty since I'm not using ATmail)
http://people.freebsd.org/~ohauer/diffs/atmail-1.0.5.diff

Please open a PR for the update, maybe even report your error messages to the ATmail project so they can fix the code.

--
Regards,
olli