Date:      7 Apr 1997 19:01:50 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POLL & the Single FreeBSD'r

In article <19970403095026.AM16414@uriah.heep.sax.de>,
	j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
> As Stephen Hocking wrote:
>
>> I note that NetBSD has had the poll system call for some time. Are
>> there any plans to integrate one of the few nice SYSV'isms into
>> FreeBSD (it would make porting some code a snap).
>
> At least, it hasn't been diminished to be a bad idea.

I implemented an openbsd-style implementation of poll() some time ago
but it was mixed up in the middle of the upages stuff so it lot left.
Since then, NetBSD have done a much better implementation, I'm very tempted
to back out what I've done and start from scratch while looking at the
NetBSD method.  Basically, OpenBSD implemented poll() as an alternative
interface to the select hooks in the kernel which means that poll() is
limited to what select() can test for.  NetBSD did it a lot better, by
replacing the select hooks by poll hooks, and updating both front-ends to
use the new poll backend.  The main difference is that under NetBSD, you
can poll for (say) ugent data on a socket as opposed to merely "readable".