Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:13:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        sprice@hiwaay.net
Cc:        jedgar@fxp.org, van.woerkom@netcologne.de, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INSTALL_PROGRAM considered harmful for Linux apps

> You can also put 'STRIP=' in the ports Makefile and still
> use INSTALL_PROGRAM.  I'm pretty sure this is what a couple
> of the other linux binary ports do and looks cleanest (IMHO).

Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

Had no time to analyze the other Linux ports, as I want to have q3test
out ASAP for testing.

Guess I have it together now, except for a good default game configurartion.
What I lack however is

- a correct DEPEND_XY statement for this case:

  What I need is that the port should just check that a certain
  package has been registered, if yes ok, if not it should be build.

  Hereby I want 'name with version' as DISTNAME, that gets registered,
  like

    glx-990802          hardware accelerated OpenGL 3d graphics (RIVA & G200/G400)
    linux_glx-991127    libraries to make use of glx aware Linux apps

  but check only for 'name', like '../ports/graphics/glx' without version in

    # look for Linux lib, not a normal lib
    .if defined(IF_I_HAD_A_PLAN_HOW_TO_SOLVE_THIS)
    DEPENDS=	${PORTSDIR}/emulators/linux_base \
		${PORTSDIR}/graphics/linux_glx \
		${PORTSDIR}/graphics/glx
    .endif

By the way, the DEPENDS_LIB macro seems only to make sense for FreeBSD
native libs. I doubt that I can use it to ensure certain Linux libs
to be present.

- anyone has the command line options for q3a? :-)

Regards,
Marc