Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 16:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd-mirror@sol.cs.ritsumei.ac.jp
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can anyone educate me on the packages directories?

packages-stable is where the up-to-date packages for 2.2-stable are
kept; packages-2.2.5 is what is going into the 2.2.5 CD.

 * 1) What's packages-stable got that packages-2.2.5 doesn't?

So, to answer your question: stuff that can't be put on the CD.
(Also, the update of packages-stable is stopped in the last couple of
weeks while I build the 2.2.5 packages, but it will start again soon.)

 * 2) I thought the ports crew had dropped support for -current, so how
 * come there's still a packages-current?

These are old packages.  David O'Brien is working on building new
ones.  You can delete these on your system safely now, but they may
start getting updated again.

 * If I could lose just two of these, I might have enough space left on
 * my drive for the ports distfiles, which I really ought to be
 * distributing (because of the GPL).

I thought you just needed to point the user to the "real" source
(ftp.freebsd.org will do) as long as they are distributing it.

Satoshi