Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:42:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD amd64 List <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP support and Tyan S288X boards

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Looking for opteron boards got some reports of Tyan S288X boards
> working. Does the AMD64 version of FreeBSD support SMP well in these
> boards?
>
> In http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html it says that it
> supports Mutiprocessor, so just wondering how it works on those Tyan
> boards.
>
> Anything in particular that needed to be changed other than enabling
> SMP in the kernel?

I just removed FreeBSD/i386 and did a fresh install of FreeBSD/amd64
on my Tyan S2885 (Thunder K8W) with dual Opteron 244's and 2GB RAM and
it works great.  Great board.  5.3-RELEASE/amd64 GENERIC kernel worked
fine, and a custom 5.3-STABLE/amd64 SMP kernel seems to be working
just as well.  It's building X/KDE/etc right now, but I won't know how
well that goes until I get home.

The only thing I did to the custom kernel was add SMP and remove all
of the drivers for unused stuff, including lots of ISA drivers (but
not the ISA bus driver, we still need that).  Are there really AMD64
boards out there with ISA slots?

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?