Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 95 10:43:47 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        mercier@hollywood.cinenet.net (Bob Mercier)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPC port?

> Is there a powerpc (prep) port of FreeBSD in the works?  Is there
> another list that's be more appropriate?

Is there a non Apple PPC in the works, or an Apple hardware documentation
policy change?

Also, PReP is a dead specification, with which Apple refused to conform.

The new spec being worked on is CHiRP, and it will be much more lenient
in terms of things like documenting bus interfaces for developers (the
big problem with Apple) and direct memory writes for video output (one
of the things that made Aplle balk at CHiRP, besides the requirement
that they document their hardware).

I expect that someone will eventually take apart an Apple machine to
its components and XRay their ASICs (I know several someones interested
in doing this, and they have the equipment).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.