Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 14:14:55 -0800
From:      "Michael J. Ruhl" <mruhl@Network-Alchemy.COM>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound blaster PCI128

--------------3CA42999AC7B88E2A5A42AA4

John Reynolds~ wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Is there explicit instructions somewhere on how to set up a sound
>> blaster PCI128 card?  For various e-mails it appears that it is
>> possible to use this sound card, but I can't locate anything that
>> appears to work for me.
>>
>> After a day of kerputzing I am slighly frustrated and any help will be
>> welcomed.
>
> You need:
>
>   pnp0
>   pcm0
>
> in your kernel and that should about do it. Keep in mind you must do this
> before the card will appear to "work":
>
>  cd /dev
>  sh MAKEDEV snd1  # NOT snd0 as you might think
>
> then do
>
> mixer vol pcm 40
>
> (or whatever volume won't blow out your speakers :)
>
> by default, this card's channels are all turned to 0 volume at power up, so
> even if the device probes and is "working" you can't hear crap unless you turn
> the volume up.
>
> I've had limited success with the OSS drivers from 4front. The last time I
> tried them, they worked like a charm except for the fact that xmms wouldn't
> run, so I ditched them in favor of the pcm0 driver again.

Howdy again. :)

I have done a little more expirmentation with this sound card.  I had
done all the above, yesterday with no success.  :(  So I started to
look at the device driver for the es1370.  Playing with the probe
function, I noticed that it was looking for bytes like so:

#define ES1370_PCI_ID 0x50001274

What I was getting was:

#define ES1371_PCI_ID 0x13711274