Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:29:58 -0700
From:      "Khairuddin Ghani" <abdulgha@usc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.1-RELEASE installation on /dev/ad2 affected 4.0-STABLE installation on /dev/ad0

Hi.

I just *tried* installing 4.1-RELEASE on a second hard drive WHILE running
4.0-STABLE on /dev/ad0. The thing is, I set the mount points the same for both
drives, so the installation pretty much overwrote all the bins,srcs,etc, etc.
files on /dev/ad0, thinking that those mount points were of /dev/ad2. It took a
while to figure out why /etc/passwd was resetted.

My question is, what will happen at the next reboot? kernel still seems to
remain at 4.0-STABLE, because linux compat pkg_add(1) seemed to take some time,
so I killed the installation at the time (also due to the screaming users on
IRC).

Should I start a new /stand/sysinstall procedure on /dev/ad0?

Thanks.

Regards,

	Khairuddin Ghani