Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 1995 09:09:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      obiwan!bob@uudell.us.dell.com (Bob Willcox)
To:        mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiport serial cards

Mark J. Taylor wrote:

> You might ask Bob Wilcox about the stuff that he uses.  He has used the
> Boca Boards in the past, but I'm not sure what he uses now.

Yep, I'm still using a Boca 16 port (BB2016) and Boca 8 port (BB1008) card
(in different machines).  The 16 port card has the advantage of full modem
controls whereas the 8 port does not.  I am quite happy with both of these
cards.  The system with the 16 port card gets the heaviest use and is still
running 1.1.5.1.  I have six modems and 5 termnials attached to the card.

Performance of sio with this setup has never been a problem.  I often have
4 of the modem ports running simultaneously (mostly uucp, some slip) with
virtually no detectable slowdown in the system and little or no measurable
CPU usage.  However, my slip line occasionally hang up all of the ports though
(requires that I cycle power on the slip modem to get things running again).
I have yet to track this one down.

--
Bob Willcox                ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!uudell!obiwan!bob
Austin, TX                                 or: @uudell.us.dell.com:obiwan!bob