Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:23:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   icons (was: FreeBSD keyboard)

John Fieber writes:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, J Wunsch wrote:
>
>> The problem arises, however, that even for frequent users of such a
>> recognition-based system, the efficiency cannot grow beyond a certain
>> point.
>
> I think that is a minor problem.  In fact, studies show that
> although people percieve keyboard shortcuts (recall) as being
> faster than pulling down a menu (recognition), when actually
> measured, people perform about the same with both.  Granted, this
> cannot be fully generalized to cover all tasks, nor is it fully
> representative of a unix style command line interface.  Also,
> percieved difference are critical in marketing whether they are
> real or not.

This may the case when the number of choices is small.  When you
consider the number of key combinations which Emacs recognizes, menus
become very inefficient.  I introduced my wife to Emacs just a few
weeks ago, showing her the menus at the top of the screen, but she
prefers to use the key combinations because it's easier than
navigating all the menus.

> The real problem that drives unix power-users ape is that current
> recognition based interfaces typically have hard-coded
> non-extensible functionality.  Nobody has devised an *efficient*
> visual method for assembling and saving new functionality from
> existing components as in the unix pipeline model with shell
> scripts. The research on this front falls under the category of
> "programming by example" and is for the most part just that:
> research (I can provide some reference for anyone interested).
> Macro recording has been around for quite a while, but beyond
> fairly trivial tasks, a regression into old fashioned textual
> programming is required.

Granted.  As I said in another message, menus aren't flexible enough.

> I'd love to find a visual regular expresnion builder; I'm always
> having to re-read the manual page whenever I want to construct
> something non-trivial.

Now *that* would be nice.  Maybe it's even doable.

>> When looking at the icon and toolbar etc. forest of the typical
>> application of these days, i still believe it's rather done for optics
>> than to improve recognition.
>
> I think toolbars should default to being hidden.  They are most
> useful *after* someone has used a piece of software for a while
> and discovered which are the most frequently used features, some
> of which may be burried in a deep menu or dialog box.  I suspect
> toolbars are mostly confusing to a new user, and the icons are
> usually a joke. I'll bet the icon artists couldn't even pass a
> "what does this icon mean" test.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure that I agree with you on this one, but it's not
that important anyway.  If the functionality were easier to
understand, the icons would be too.

Greg