Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 17:53:28 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        gryphon@healer.com, hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, patl@asimov.volant.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> > > think my biggest objection is that it requires install-time configuration
> > > administration as part of the install.  I'd like to divorce that.  Say
>
> +> Huh? You have to configure the install at install time <confused look>...

> No.  You have to configure the package at install time or subsequent
> makes will fail.  There is no distinction between "installed" and
> "active".  It'd be nmice to be able to load it but not configure it.

Actually, it is simple to make any package/port that requires configuration
be turned off (ie. set to not startup) by default.

The simple way I came up with to do that was to have the "makerc"
search for "package.mk" in the /etc/packages directory, and if
you do not want it to run, just rename it to "package.NO".

> One example would be your template install without diskless or dataless
> or read-only support that you think is the prevalent case.  You install
> and then allow the user to post-configure it a component at a time
> without creating the need for all components to be configured.

When you do the configuration, just rename the file from "package.NO"
to "package.mk" and re-run "makerc". You can just as easily configure five
packages, then run "makerc" once. And you can start them by hand using
the init script (still stored in "init.d") to test the configuration
before committing it to auto-startup.

Are the any other problems that the Makefile method does not solve/address?

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...