Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 06:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Generic Player wrote:

> Who installed your chip, what is its core voltage, and how warped is the top
> surface?  There were alot of problems with the higher clocked k-6 II chips
> giving off too much heat, particularily the older 2.4v cores,  and making
> the system unstable.  If yours is pretty warped I would suggest lapping it,
> and make sure it has thermal grease on.  I can't stress that enough.  Actual
> computer stores with certified technicians constantly leave out the thermal
> grease when installing chips, and it can be the major reason for such high
> heat.

I have a 2.2v K-6 II. I previously had a 350MHz K6/2, but I could not get
it working due to random panics and reboots.

I now have installed a 450MHz K6/2 (nice flat surface) with a large
hintsink with thermal compound and am clocking the chip at 400MHz and it
runs fine.

I was told (don't know how true this is) that a bad batch of K6's got out
that were frequency challenged. With my luck, it is true and I got one.

..And yes, the guy who sold me the chip said he never used thermal
grease. All he knew was windows. I guess he didn't have too many
problems with windows, but freebsd seems to work the cpu much harder.

Jim