Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:01:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideas from netbsd

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > All I know is that if I fork a shell before I chroot to /mnt (the hard
> > > disk), I can never use the floppy again..
> >
> > What is ``never use again'' exactly?
>
> It's busy.  Any attempt to open /dev/fd0 again will fail.

Perhaps a floppy driver problem.  I will have to see if i could
isolate the problem.

Forcibly unmounting didn't help?  (mount -f)

Yeah, i know why it's busy (and yes, forcibly unmounting would help)!
If a device is accessible by different vnodes (that all have identical
major and minor #'s), the kernel won't let you unmount a file system
containing one of these vnodes.

You can easily verify this by mounting a ufs floppy (or perhaps even a
vn or mfs device), then copying the entire /dev there (as you would do
it e.g. for the copy of a boot floppy).  Any attempt to unmount it
will be rejected (since there are now some device nodes on it that are
also open inside the original /dev tree).  Forcibly unmounting helps,
and doesn't harm since the open descriptors refer to nodes that have
not been opened from the floppy.

Hmm, i'm not sure if it would also help in the installer case, the
question is which descriptors are still being held open, and what
would happen if they are being revoked by the umount -f.  If they are
stale anyway, it doesn't hurt.  If they are really active, it would
break everything...

--
cheers, J"org