Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 20:02:33 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br, core@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Iomega SCSI Zip Drive

#define quoting(Peter Dufault)
// > I'll Cc freebsd-core on this, since i won't decide this myself.
// > Background for `core': my suggested patch would move the Iomega Zip
// > drives to the `od' driver since this one is better targeted towards
// > removable media devices.
//
// If it addresses issues for any removable disk for which "od" makes
// no sense it shouldn't move into od.  Or do you suggest moving all
// removable disks (based on their inquiry) into od, which though it
// sounds funny makes more sense than a case-by-case decision.

Is there something special about the od driver, other than support
to removable disks ?  The cd driver is special because it have ioctls
to play audio tracks, different size sectors, etc.  but what's the
difference between an optical and a magnetic disk, in terms of
operating system control ?

If the sd driver could deal with removable devices, there would be
no problem.  But then, would it be necessary an od driver ?

Sorry if I forgot something really stupid.  I don't know much
about SCSI specs.

//
// Peter
//
// --
// Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
// HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936
//

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br