Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:09:56 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Yarema <yds@ingress.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: change in Netscape install directory

Hi,

[ I know, it's a really old thread, but I wanted to make my vote here... ]

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Yarema wrote:

> >Thus we now have an inconsistency between the various netscape ports.
> >I would like to make them consistent.  So the question is, where should
> >Netscape be installed?
> >
> >    1.  /usr/local/lib/netscape*
> >    2.  /usr/local/netscape-*
> >

> I vote for 1) above. Don't like a cluttered /usr/local/ . I'd rather have
> all the clutter sit in /usr/local/lib/ .

 Well, I'm sorry, but I think we'd rather clutter /usr/local/lib/
unnecessarily -- hier(7) clearly states that /usr[/local]/lib/ holds
(exclusively ?) shared archive libraries; I can't think of netscape
package as being a bunch of shared libraries...

 And besides, even the netscape installer has in the default path
/opt/netscape and /usr/local/netscape, what's wrong with following this
formula ?

 Also, if you personally prefer to install in the /lib/ directory you only
need to change the NDIR line in the Makefile to reflect your option.

 Apart from the fact that I once  submitted a communicator port with
"NDIR=/usr/local/..." I don't believe that I'm subjective to my
preferences but rather that I have good arguments; in the light of
this I strongly suggest using 2) /usr/local/netscape-* !

> --
> Yarema

 Thank you,
 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)