Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 20:58:06 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Evan Busch <antiequality@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A quality operating system

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 01:56:16PM -0500, Evan Busch wrote:

> I can see this will be important here:
>=20
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
>=20
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> > But allow me to say
> > that _if_ you are interested in contributing in _that_
> > way, you should always bring examples and name _concrete_
> > points you're criticizing, instead of just mentioning
> > wide ranges of "this doesn't conform to my interpretation
> > of what 'professional' should look like".
>=20
> The problem with your statement is that it does not allow for general
> critique, which is also needed. If something shows up in more than one
> place, it is a general critique.

You haven't shown *one* example of inadequate or confusing
documentation.=20

>=20
> > In most cases, documentation requires you to have a minimal
> > clue of what you're doing. There's terminology you simply
> > have to know, and concepts to understand in order to use
> > the documentation.
>=20
> See the Wikipedia page above -- the problem isn't one of user
> competence, but of poorly-written documentation that is fundamentally
> disorganized.
>=20
> Have you looked at any of the documentation coming out of Redmond right n=
ow?
>=20
> How do you think FreeBSD's documentation stands up to that?

FreeBSD documentation blows away anything Redmond gives you.

Where's the documentation for Windows Explorer for Vista on
microsoft.com?

A link will do.

>=20
>=20
> > Different kinds of users have different preferences. Some
> > like to use the web, like to use Wikis and discussion boards.
> > Others like to use structured web pages. Again, other like
> > web pages too, but want to have as much information in _one_
> > (long) page. And there are those who do not want to depend
> > on the web - those like man pages.
>=20
> The question isn't form, but content.
>=20
> > If you're used to some specific _way_ of documentation, you
> > will maybe value anything that's _different_ from that way
> > as being inferior, non-professional, or less helpful.
>=20
> I think I'm talking about professional level documentation, not a
> specific "style."

By your own admission you don't even use FreeBSD so how on earth can
you constructively criticise? Answer: you can't.

>=20
> > Also keep in mind that especially for developers, the SOURCE
> > CODE also is an important piece of documentation. Here FreeBSD
> > is very good, compared to other systems.
>=20
> We're talking end-user documentation here.

In a lot of cases the source IS end-user documentation? BTW, how does
that compare with Redmond?

>=20
> > Here the "one size fits all" problem arises. It's really hard
> > to make documentation "for everybody".
>=20
> I disagree. It's very clear what must be done because multiple archetypes=
 exist.

Well do it. Put up or shut up.

>=20
> > Note the presence of ":-)" and the abilities of english native
> > speakers who are much more able to express "between the lines"
> > than I am, for example.
>=20
> If so, it's just them trying to cover up the inherently defensive and
> reactionary nature of their comments.

They're inherently defensive and reactionary because you're trolling.

>=20
> Would they send such an email on a business list?

Who cares? It's not a business list.

>=20
> > You can "predict" that everywhere. Just go to any halfway
> > specialized setting and make claims about something not
> > meeting your requirements
>=20
> I've never had this problem when the claims have been stated
> professionally -- only here.

OK, so you'll be able to provide links then?

Thought not.

--=20

 Frank

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5