Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:22:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joe Verba <jverba_1965@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mfsroot>

Hello,
I recently purchased "The Complete FreeBSD".  I am
thoroughly enjoying the book, for all intents and
purposes I am the quintessential Unix newbie so bear
with me.  I loaded the kernel onto an HPNetserver LC,
once I found to have the kernel probe for up to 12
EISA slots I was able to get to the # prompt.  Upon
reboot it comes back with mfsroot>  (which I assume is
due to the probing not keeping the EISA 12??).  So I
rebooted took the other option (hit the spacebar on
bootup), at the prompt I did  boot -c  when that came
up I did an EISA 12 and quit and it booted up fine.
So from that I assumed that I needed a specific
kernel.  So I copied the GENERIC and called it
MYKERNEL (here is where I guess my question is) the
EISA = 12 was already in the MYKERNEL, is there
something that I am supposed to do to this file so
that it activates it (I also did the cd
../../compile/MYKERNEL and the make install and
rebooted).  The instructions in the book really dont
mention anything specific to do to the file (just
mentions that a # in front comments out the statement,
and the EISA=12 did not have a # in front of it so I
assumed that it would read this (yes I know I am
probably assuming alot)).

What am I missing?

thanks for your time

Joe

ps while I have your eyes, this Netserver has a
Toshiba cd-rom, an AIC7770 scsi adapter and the
probing never finds the cd-rom drive (the bios does
recognize it on id #1 (I moved it from the original #3
just to see if it would make any difference)  I really
have no idea what IRQ it should be at, or what address
it should be at either.