Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:58:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        bill@linuxcare.com
Cc:        FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network trickles ...... cont'd

On Tuesday, 10 October 2000 at  8:18:20 -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> Hello,
> 	Just got the FreeBSD-3.4 installed here at work and it rocks. The Intel
> eepro100 driver translates the name of the NIC to 'fxp0' so I can see I
> need some guidance as to how to determine the proper identity for the
> (tulip driver) Netgear FX-310_TX card. This must be a driver issue.

Unlike Linux, each BSD Ethernet driver has its own name.  You don't
need to look for it; the drivers probe the hardware in turn, and each
finds its own.  In case of doubt, check dmesg, but in general ifconfig
-a will show you what the system found.

> 	If I swap cards and need to re-assign a new module for the NIC
> can it be a 'one liner' like in the /etc/conf.modules file in Linux?

Better yet, you don't need to do anything.  It will be loaded
automatically when you reference it.  But if you're loading the
modules, you will need to specify the name of the driver; that's why
most people compile all drivers into the kernel (that's what GENERIC
does, too).

> But I guess before that I'd need to look at the available network
> card modules on my system and some definitions file. I would have
> never guessed that 'fxp0' was the module name for the Intel
> EEpro100, in Linux the module is called 'eepro100'.

Why be so obvious? :-)

In fact, the names of the drivers are lost in the mists of time.
You'll find a correlation between boards and driver names in the file
HARDWARE.TXT on the installation CD-ROM; there's also a copy on page
24 of "The Complete FreeBSD", Third Edition (page 21 in the Second
Edition), but it's out of date.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.