Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 00:39:54 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DEC DE203 (le0) / FreeBSD 4.0

Hi y'all,

I have a friend (one of the guys who 'converted' me to FreeBSD) with a
problem.

Attached below is a copy of his message to a newsgroup
(comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)

FreeBSD V4 crashes during le0 (DE203) config.

---  Starts here ---

I'm unable to start the network of V4 on Intel platform, using
Digital DE203 NIC's.

This was a working system under V3.3 and W95.  Installation via V4
ISO CD image from web.  Copied the kit and checked md5 signature -
ok.

Wrote image to CD then installed the V4.0 kit.  Everything
installed and went perfectly, until I configured the network.
Various incarnations were applied.  First sequence:
- install FreeBSD V4 without configuring the network
- Login as root
- And type ifconfig le0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
- Which results in (full details):
Fault virtual address: 0x0
Fault code: Supervisor read, page not present
Instruction pointer: 0x8:0x0
Stack pointer 0x10: 0xcccced7c
Frame pointer: 0x10: 0Xcccced90
Code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
- DPL0, pres 1 def32 1, gran 1
Processor flag=interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL-0
Current process = 179 (ifconfig)
Inerrupt mask = net tty
Trap number = 12
Panic: page fault

--

When I re-install V4.0 with le0, I get slightly different
information:

During reboot sequence...

Starting standard daemons: inetd crontab sendmail
Mode =  041777, inum=108, fs=/
Panic: ffs_valloc, dup alloc
Synching disks 39 39 26 2
Done
Uptime 4.5

------

Ok - finished with the CD from the net, as the V4 CDset just
arrived.  Using CD from boxed kit results in:

Attempt 1

Install V4 using the visual interface.
Configure the network device le0 to I/O 300, irq 10, mem oxd0000
The install hangs while probing for devices

Attempt 2

Install V4 (without configuring the network), then rebooted
Boot -c
Using visual installer, modified the device le0 results in crash

Fault Virtual Address  : 0x30
Fault code device = supervisor write, page not present
Instruction pointer = 0x8:0c0227d6f
code segment = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = idle
Interrupt mask = net tty bios cam
Uptime : 0s

---

PC Configuration

Intel PIII-450, 256MB, Gigabyte BX2000, DE203 NIC (hence le0
device), Quantum CX 6G, using a second partition as FreeBSD.

NIC Settings: irq 10, iomem 0xD0000, port 300

Miscellaineous device pcic0 was removed to avoid conflict with NIC
irq.

I'd really appreciate some advice...
Dewayne.

It is my 'hope' to go to FreeBSD 4.0 - the "problem" is, I too have
DE203 NICs in a couple of my machines at home, so I will be having the
same problem real soon now.

Any help appreciated,

haxxa