Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:43:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

[snip]

>But, just out of curiosity, why do you disagree with the notion of
>egalitarianism -- or at least even-handedness -- where distributions are

Even-handedness, I would support -- egalitarianism reduces everything
to the lowest common denominator. The best innovations, the best
products, the best combat teams are at their best and most efficient
when the team is strongly focused on a single mission with a strongly
focused leader. These people, typically, are not the most liked, but
they are the most capable of achieving excellence.

One of the reasons I encourage the use of FreeBSD as opposed to Linux
is precisely because of the development model and the demonstrated
focus of the FreeBSD project. Although, I could say nearly the same
for all of the *BSDs. Nobody seems to like Theo, but he has brought
focus and direction to OpenBSD. When he disagreed with the NetBSD
core, he rolled his own. I respect that.

I believe that all the BSDs are correct in focusing on the server side
of the world. In that world, the concerns and objectives are entirely
different than the desktop world. Look at what we already have. There
is little value to vinum, for example on the desktop. There is
tremendous value, though on the server side.

To focus on the desktop would mean ignoring the very real benefits
FreeBSD offers to just become another "me-too" in the egalitarian
rabble of Linux. FreeBSD offers a _very_ attractive alternative to IS
folks who have been around enough to see all the shortcomings of
Linux. (Besides, the desktop world sucks -- you have to deal with
users;)

>concerned? If FreeBSD becomes known as, effectively, the property of
>Walnut Creek CDROM, it will almost certainly dampen contributors'
>desire to contribute. They will realize that they are working not for the

Why? If WC became WC$, then we would see more Theos;) Up to now,
though, WC has given us _far_ more than it's taken. Don't look for
skunks till you smell one;) WC has bellied up to the bar with hard
dollars and support, yet they allow all of us do download their
supported product at no charge. Their support is one of the
reasons FreeBSD is the most popular *BSD available. They obviously,
though, have a vested interest in the name "FreeBSD".

If WC and core have decided to target the server world, why not
cooperate and further that goal? Strengthen the group rather than
dividing it. If, on the other hand, you can't float in that boat, I
see no reason why you couldn't take any *BSD code you like and develop
the "FriendlyBSD" distribution.

From a personal point of view, you're trying to sell me on the value
of the market acceptance of the Maudie Fricks of the world. Maudie
doesn't run IT, and, frankly, I don't give a damn about Maudie because
I have no intention of supporting Maudie. There is absolutely nothing
that you, or anyone else could say that would change my attitude.
Sorry.

>good of all but -- to a large extent -- for the exclusive benefit
>of Walnut Creek CDROM. This would not be a good thing, and therefore the
>impediments to the creation of alternative distributions should be removed.
>
>In addition, the existence of multiple distributions means more contributions
>of money, time, and advocacy by the creators of those distributions. This
>can only be a good thing.

An alternative distribution under a different name, __may__ be a good
thing -- but depends on the quality and direction of the contributors.
I still don't understand why you want to turn FreeBSD from it's
current, successful direction and turn it into another Linux-like CF.

>>I dislike the sophomoric and sometimes
>>acid responses he seems to draw from others on this list.
>
>So do I, and I must admit that I don't fully understand why the people

I suspect that some haven't quite matured, yet.

>who post them are showing such venom. Nothing I've said, or would like
>to do, is adverse to the interests or success of FreeBSD as a development

Actually, what you've advocated _is_ adverse to the interests of
FreeBSD -- if, in fact, FreeBSD is targeting the server side of the
world.

>project, and postings which characterize me as an "enemy of the project"
>seem more designed to prejudice others against me than to contribute
>something constructive to the discussion. In fact, I think that my proposals
>stand to do the project great good.

The great good that you see comes mostly from the way you see. I,
frankly, don't see your vision. What I like most about FreeBSD is that
I can walk in, install and configure a working 24/7 system in a
relatively short period of time and walk out -- without worrying about
calls in the middle of the night. If you are successful in shifting
the focus to the desktop, I would most likely start installing one of
the other *BSDs.

Why not use your skills to help advance our acceptance on the server
side of the world instead of trying to convert us?

--Jay