Date:      Wed, 25 May 2022 06:52:40 -0700
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck@freebsd.org>
To:        Matteo Riondato <matteo@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nvme INVALID_FIELD in dmesg.boot

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 5:26 AM Matteo Riondato <matteo@freebsd.org> wrote:
> nvme0: SET FEATURES (09) sqid:0 cid:15 nsid:0 cdw10:0000000b
> cdw11:0000031f
> nvme0: INVALID_FIELD (00/02) sqid:0 cid:15 cdw0:0
> nda0 at nvme0 bus 0 scbus16 target 0 lun 1
> nda0: nvme version 1.2 x4 (max x4) lanes PCIe Gen3 (max Gen3) link
> The disks seem to work fine, from what I can tell.
>
> Are the "INVALID_FIELD" messages harmless, or can they be avoided with
> some tuning, or maybe with some patch?

The log messages mean the driver is sending the Set Features command
with an invalid parameter. Usually, this won't be fatal which seems to
be the case here as the nda appear.

If the logging output is to be believed, the invalid parameter is
CDW10 which shouldn't be 0x0. That said, I'm not immediately seeing
how that could be the case. It would be interesting to set
hw.nvme.verbose_cmd_dump to confirm this is happening.

--chuck