Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:07:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Jack Freelander <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jef <jam@winona.cs.miami.edu>
Subject:   Re: cc in 3.1-STABLE

:I just installed 3.1-STABLE on eeyore, rabbit's friend.  Eeyore is a
:K6-2/450 machine with 64 megs of RAM, nothing exciting.
:
[ snip ]
:
:cc core dumps and can hardly compile anything.  I cannot rebuild the kernel,
:I can't make gcc, or zsh or bash..sometimes, however, simply retyping 'make'
:will allow the compliation process to go beyond where it died, so that it
:can die at a new stage in a few seconds.

What about an error when cc dies?  What you're describing sounds like
the dreaded "Signal 11" most commonly caused by bad hardware, usually
RAM.

Are you using PC100 RAM in this machine?  Do you have a way to verify
that?

If you do a web search for signal 11 you'll find many a FAQ dedicated
to this problem along with tips for diagnosis and repair.

Good luck,

Jim

:Does FreeBSD work correctly with AMD chips?

Yes.

:thanks!
:
:-jack freelander
:
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
:
: