Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:50:45 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RCng Awkwardness

I find the standard arguments used by RCng quite
awkward.  In particular, especially for people who
have worked with SysV-style init scripts, it's
rather surprising that "/etc/rc.d/nfsd stop" does
not actually stop the nfsd process.  Likewise, 'start'
doesn't actually start the specified system.

I would find it vastly more intuitive if the
current arguments were named differently:

current 'start'  ->  new 'boot'
current 'stop'  -> new 'shutdown'
current 'forcestart' -> new 'start'
current 'forcestop' -> new 'stop'

This better reflects the actual usage:
the current 'start' and 'stop' are really
intended to be used by RC at system boot
and shutdown time.  'forcestart' and
'forcestop' are really for manually
starting/stopping services.

For that matter, I don't really understand
why 'stop' and 'forcestop' are separate
anyway; if I type 'stop', I want it to
stop, even if rc.conf says it shouldn't
be running.

I could provide diffs to change this, but won't
bother if everyone else thinks the existing
system is perfect and unalterable.  ;-)

Tim Kientzle