Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:05:53 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porters Handbook

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 05:13:28PM -0700, papowell@astart.com wrote:
> a) Explain about the file name conventions:
>     pgk-plist is really pkg/PLIST

pkg/PLIST is the old way.  pkg-plist is the new way.  pkg-* prefix
indicates packaging file.

> b) PLEASE try to add a section on the pkg/PLIST^H^H^H^H^H pkg-plist
>    format.  The 'see pkg_add(1)' does not cut it for the new reader.
>
>    You might hint right up front that using the following
>    will create the files and allow you to try to run 'make makesum'
>
>     touch pkg/PLIST pkg/COMMENT pkg/DESCR

There are plenty of examples in the ports tree of pkg-plist files (in
fact nearly 4,000 examples :-).

And this is the old way you're talking about.. pkg-comment pkg-plist and
pkg-descr are the current file names.

> c) Explain IN DETAIL (whimper...)
>
>     1. where the man pages need to be put when you do
>        'make install' so the poor novice will understand
>        where to have 'make install' put the man pages

See hier(7).  ${PREFIX}/man/manN, where 1>=N>=9, or N = [lm], is the
typical location... sometimes other places.

>     2. skip the stuff about 'compressed man pages' and
>        tell them to always use 'NO' unless they are very
>        clever.
>
> Sigh... I wish I knew more about the details so I could
> contribute more than just whinging...

Well, ports is still a work in progress, even after seven years.  It's
not perfect yet, but it will be if I have anything to say.  8)

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> - Physics Computer Network wench