Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:20:15 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Embedded install script

+----[ Loren M. Lang <lorenl@alzatex.com> (28.Jan.2006 07:17):

| A package I am porting has a build infrastucture, but no install target
| to call.  It is setup so it is all built under a bin directory in the
| source.  I created a quick script that creates the aproximately 20
| directories and 140 install lines to the correct place under LOCALBASE,
| but I was wondering if I should just add the lines directly to the port
| make file under a do-install target or put them in a seperate file under
| files/.

+----]

Loren,

if the changes are not specific to the software, as is your
case, since it doesn't have an install target (and probably
never will), then I'd put the lines into the port's
Makefile.

I don't know the specific example, but maybe you could
reduce it to 20 install lines (one per destination
directory)?

See biology/ncbi-toolkit as another example of a port with
no install target, and with lots of files.

My preference is to put patches in files/ if they are fixes
that could then be passed to the author to be incorporated
in future versions/releases. If not, I try to put everything
else into the port's Makefile, though always allowing for some
flexibility :)

Fernan