Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 10:51:31 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mem Use

* Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au> [010504 03:57]:
> > Exactly.  And it also slows down other disk I/O.  Why doesn't it swap
> > it back in and leave it?  It keeps bringing it back in every couple
> > seconds.  I don't see any swap out activity, only lots of swapin.
>
> Reading files (e.g. with cat or more) and running new programs also counts as
> pagein.  That's one reason why pagein rates are so much higher than pageout.

Don't think that's true for textfiles.

I rmeember older *NIXes loaded processes off disk by causing
a page fault to read in the binary. I imagine FreeBSD does soemthing similar,

The pageins you'd see running cat or more are probably /bin/cat and
/usr/bin/more being loaded.

--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
		-- S. C. Johnson