Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:17:28 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: firewall section of handbook

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:05:38 -0400
"fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> As the originator of the work, I don't care any longer about the
> wording in the firewall section. My stuff contains all the technical
> details which has been missing from the handbook for an very long
> time. All I am interested in is finding someone who will take my
> source and prepare it for publication / replacing the current
> firewall section. Hassling over wording is not as important as
> getting the details and examples published in the handbook. I am
> ready to pass on the source to who ever will see this through to the
> end. Looking for powerful ramrod type of person who once they bite
> into the project will not let go until it's completed.

Perhaps a slow ramrod, but I am a ramrod.  I think.  Ummm, Ceri,
what am I again?  Hmmmm.

find projects/newdocuments -type f -name '*' | xargs wc -l
Ack.  I'm not a ramrod, I'm a loser ...

> Is that you????  Is there any one on the doc list who has the time
> and commitment to take on this publishing project??

At this point I'm not sure if I stepped forward or everyone else
stepped backward.  But I guess I'll look over it.  I want a few
more things to keep me busy this week and next.

> By time this is ready for inclusion in the handbook I may have the
> rough draft of the pf firewall stuff written so it can be included
> also.

We need pf documentation.  That alone is enough reason to go
through with the effort.

> Let me know if you have the right stuff to take control of the
> project and see it all the way through. As I stated before, I have
> work related deadlines and projects which do not leave me time to
> work my way through the process of peer review and revisions to the
> text. It's much easier to publish, than create the original
> technical info. I have done my part, now it's someone else's turn to
> complete the publishing process. That's why I turned to the doc
> mailing list to solicit help in completing the project. I leave it
> in your hands to follow through or drop it here.

The unfortunate part is that we are tired, busy, and overworked
committers.  Well, not all of us.  Some people commit so much
that I wonder about them.  Yet, I used to be the same way so
I can't pick on anyone in particular without pointing a
at my own head.

Honestly, enough joking aside, you get everything done to a
point where you are happy with it and I'll look it over for
you.  I'm sure others will also.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes