Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:17:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Stephen Bader <steveb@mercury.jorsm.com>
Subject:   Re: Backup to remote tape drive, with rdump.

On 11-Jun-01 Flemming Froekjaer wrote:
> Does rdump use ssh?

No it uses rsh style login.

If you can

rsh -l root othermachine ls

then you should also be able to do the rdump.

> No, I don't alow ssh root logins. Is there a way where I can do remote
> backups without alowing root logins?

I don't think so. Perhaps you can change permissions on /dev/nrsa?

It is possible to use ssh (and thus encipher the transmission) but it is slower.
Use something along this line:

tar -c -v -p -f - -b 20 directory | ssh othermachine dd of=/dev/nrsa0 obs=20b

and get it back with:

ssh othermachine dd if=/dev/nrsa0 bs=20b | tar -x -v -p -B -f - -b 20

but dump instead of tar etc.