Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:17:33 -0700
From:      Guy Williams <guywill@best.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CDROM and Floppies inop

Dear friends,

I hope you can help. This is my first UNIX-like system setup.

FreeBSD 4.1 Release FreeBSD 4.1-Release#0:friJUL 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000
jkh@ref4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/generic:386

system: Iwill P55AV Ultra SCSI Motherboard Pentium 200 MHz MMX
sound card (probed as unknown), std. IDE/ESDI HDC (probed as unknown),
Voodoo3, CDROM E-IDE ISO 9660, generic 3.5 and 5.25 floppies, 2 hard
drives. Pri and sec. IDE ctlrs., PS/2 mouse
No SCSI devices and the SCSI cntls are disabled on the board setup

probes: indicate some invalid I/O ports associated with adv1. No conf in
basic view setup.
probes: WARNING "fd" is usurping "dd"'s cdevsw[]
	WARNING "fd" is usurping 'dd"'s bmaj

I get a prompt, I can log on, move around, run vi, the screen saver
works and the mouse works.
I loaded the system from the CD drive using boot disks.

PROBLEM:

The floppies do not show up in /etc/fstab; the CDROM is there but does
not mount on startup.

If I try to mount the the CDROM I get: CD9660 device busy
If I try to mount the floppies I get: fd0c hard error reading fsbn 16 of
16-31 (nostatus)
				      fd1c hard error reading fsbn 16 of 16-31 (nostatus)

Thanks for you help. Guy

--
Guy Williams
1220 Carmel Terrace