Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 1997 18:29:51 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS information preservation (was Re: >64MB)

> >Anyone likely to complain if I add a new datastructure to i386/bios.c and
> >start populating it with stuff that various parts of the system glean
> >about the BIOS environment?  Or should I be using a procedural lookup
> >interface for this?
> >eg. either:
> >	foo = i386biosinfo->bios_memsize;
> >or
> >	error = i386biosinfo("memsize", &foo)
> >??
> 	I like the prior one better since the spelling mistake can be
> 	found by the compiler.  In the latter case spelling mistake like
> 	i386biosinfo("memsizee", &foo) can be detected only in runtime.

Ok, so it takes the developer a few more minutes.  OTOH, it means that
things can be dynamically added without having to change the data
structure.

It's a little academic just at the moment, as the task I wanted it to
solve doesn't appear to do what I wanted.  I'll keep it on the back
burner for next time though.

mike