Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:35:14 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 Mouse resolution.

On Thu, 18 June 1998 at 18:30:46 -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thu, 18 June 1998 at  0:03:50 -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:

>>> Interesting.  The "updates in bursts" looks like an interrupt problem.
>>> I've had similar problems, but I hadn't associated them with the
>>> change from serial to PS/2.  I'm currently using a MouseMan on a
>>> serial port on my laptop, and it works fine, but I've been having real
>>> problems on my "real" machine with a PS/2 port.  I thought it was the
>>> screen resolution (1600x1200) which was causing the problems, but now
>>> I'll investigate more carefully.
>>
>> If it were an interrupt problem, wouldn't the cursor itself move jumpily
>> and not just the inverse selection?
>
> Yes.  That's what comes of not reading the message carefully.  Of
> course, it could still be a conflict with disk access.
>
>> It moves even more fluidly than with my serial mouse (of course, it
>> was a cheap low-res mouse).
>
> My impression is that the same mouse (convertible) is smoother on a
> serial connection than on the PS/2 connector.  As I said, I'll try
> this out when I get home.

I'm home now, and I've tried it out.  It turns out my recollection was
defective: the mouse was already connected as a serial mouse.  I tried
it on PS/2, and as Duncan Barclay observes, the mouse slowed down.
'xset m' doesn't help much either--if I really speed it up, it jumps
in increments of up to 10 pixels.  Some of this may be due to the old
version of Xinside I'm using, of course.

Greg