Date:      Fri, 25 May 2012 12:16:01 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports build and synchronization issues

I've had a number of failures attempting to build things,
but on several occasions builds have failed with what looks like may be
threading / subprocess synchronization issues.
I'm running 9.0-RELEASE on a 4-processor amd64 system w/ 16GB.

For example, an attempt to build openoffice-3 failed building package
textproc/redland when a dependent package build couldn't find some doc pages.
It was trying to build textproc/rasqal and looking for what I think was
the open-motif library and couldn't find it because
the (open-motif?) install failed because of the doc pages issue.
Rerunning "make install" at the openoffice-3 level still failed at the same point.
Going to the dependent text package and doing a make install claimed the
package was already installed.
"make deinstall" and "make clean install" solved the issue.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I don't have the build output,
and used two different windows, one to build and another to check status
using pkg_info, etc.
Backing up in the command history I have this,
which resulted in a complete build:

cd openoffice-3
make                             original failure due to missing doc files
make -v install                  repeated the same failure
cd ../../textproc/redland        attempt to build dependent pkg redland
make clean
make -v install                  failed on dependent pkg rasqal
cd ../rasqal
make deinstall                   begin of successful build of rasqal
make clean
make install
cd ../../textproc/redland
make install                     begin of successful build of redland
cd ../../editors/openoffice-3
make install                     resume & successful build of openoffice-3

The original error seems like a synchronization problem
between the subprocesses doing the builds.
Is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?

Gary